Showing posts with label Al-Shabaab. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Al-Shabaab. Show all posts

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

32 people including killed in Somali blast




Somali militants storm hotel, 31 dead includes MPs



Insurgents in army uniforms stormed a hotel in Mogadishu frequented by Somali government officials yesterday, killing at least 31 people including members of parliament.

The hardline al Shabaab Islamists who have been fighting for three years to oust the fragile Western-backed “transitional government,” and control most of the city, claimed the attack.

Mohamud Huusein, a civil servant who lived in the hotel, told Reuters the gunmen had pretended to be government soldiers and approached the hotel’s entrance, bragging of having beaten some rebel militiamen.

“The security guards moved forward smiling, and eager to hear more stories but they were floored with fire and the gunmen entered the hotel and fired into every room and hall,” he said.


Soldiers and locals move the body of a member of parliament killed during an armed attack on the Muna Hotel in Mogadishu, August 24, 2010.


Al Shabaab push towards Somali president’s palace



Somali Islamist rebels pushed towards the presidential palace late yesterday but were repelled by heavy shelling by government troops, an army officer said today.

More than 80 people have been killed in the latest escalation of violence in the capital Mogadishu, which began on Monday when the al Shabaab group vowed to intensify its holy war against the fragile government.

The al Qaeda-linked militants said they were behind a shooting rampage in a hotel on Tuesday that killed at least 33 people including members of parliament.




Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hotel attack kills at least 31 in Somalia, Islamist group al Shabaab claiming responsibility



At least 31 people including six government officials were killed on Tuesday in the Mogadishu hotel attack by gunmen, the Somali government said.

The Somali government said in a statement that at least 31 people including six members of parliament had been killed in the hotel attack.

It said the six members of parliament were inside the hotel when the attack occurred.

The attack also killed several government security personnel, it added.


The raid came as the heavy fighting between the Islamist fighters from Al Shabaab and the government forces enters its second day in the past two days left about almost 50 people dead and more than 150 others wounded.

The Islamist group on Tuesday afternoon claimed responsibility for the hotel raid.

Spokesman for al Shabaab told the media that his Mujajideen forces carried out an operation at Hotel Muna.





Monday, July 12, 2010

Blasts Hit World Cup Watchers in Uganda-Bombs target World Cup fans as dozens killed in Uganda blasts-Al-Shabab 'hallmarks' in Uganda blasts-64 killed in Uganda bomb blast


















Devastating bar bombings kill 64 football fans as they watch World Cup final in Uganda

Photobucket
Innocent victim: A football fan is treated at Mulago Hospital in Kampala for injuries he received in the attack

Scores of football fans watching the World Cup final were massacred when two suspected Al Qaeda linked bombs ripped apart a restaurant and sports club.

At least 64 people died in the simultaneous attacks in the Ugandan capital Kampala which were believed to be the work of Somalian Muslim extremists.


Monday, May 3, 2010

Profile: Hakimullah Mehsud - Leader of Taliban Pakistan directly threathen USA.Alleged killed but survive.

Photobucket
Hakimullah has been reported killed several times in the past year 

Photobucket
Mehsud, left, has vowed to continue war of attrition against the Pakistani military

Photobucket
 Hakimullah was involved in al-Balawi's attack on CIA operatives in Afghanistan


Speculation over the faith of Hakimullah Mehsud, the leader of Tehrik-e-Taliban, the Pakistani Taliban, has been widespread since reports emerged that he had been killed in a US drone attack in northwestern Pakistan on January 14.

Mehsud came to prominence in the Taliban movement after a number of devastating raids on the nation's regular army in 2007.

His first-ever mention in an English-language newspaper came when he was appointed as a spokesman for Baitullah Mehsud, his predecessor.

Mehsud then gained a reputation for his fighting skills, particularly with the AK-47, and served as Baitullah Mehsud's deputy commander until the leader died in a CIA drone missile strike in August 8, 2009.

Aged about 30 years old and never shy of the media, Hakimullah Mehsud is reportedly an extremely mobile Taliban commander - cropping up in one or other of the tribal areas regularly, especially the Khyber, Kurram and Orakzai tribal agencies.

He is an articulate leader, frequently spelling out his organisation's objectives: to maintain the campaign of attrition against the Pakistani army in order to carve out a Pashtun Taliban emirate in Pakistan.

He is also the Pakistani Taliban's most successful leader to date. In one especially audacious raid, he captured 300 Pakistani soldiers - an attack that local journalists say added greatly to his prestige.

'Lively and dangerous'

Shafiq Ahmad, a reporter for Geo TV in Peshawar, met the leader at the beginning of 2009.

"Hakimullah is a lively man," he said.

"He told us he could give us two gifts. One was the Humvee military vehicle that his fighters had captured during a recent raid in the Khyber pass on an Afghanistan-bound supply convoy for Nato forces.

"The other was a jeep that his men had snatched from UN employees."

Another journalist, the BBC's Syed Shoaib Hasan, met Mehsud at the same time and was impressed by a "handsome young man with a pleasant demeanour", even though "danger radiated from him".

"He [would] drive like a man possessed, manoeuvring around razor sharp bends at barely possible speeds ... braking inches short of a several hundred-foot drop."

Mehsud was born near the town of Jandola in South Waziristan around 1980 and went to a small village school in Hangu District.

Mehsud's reputation has only grown with every inaccurate claim by the Pakistani government to have killed him.

On August 10, 2009, Pakistani officials proudly announced his death, saying he had been hit by an unmanned drone attack after intercepting his phone calls.

But just hours later a Reuters news agency journalist reported he had spoken to Mehsud after the attack.

Later, on September 5, Pakistan forces "captured a man who confessed to killing Hakimullah", according to the national newspaper The Daily Times, which also headlined four weeks later that Hakimullah had most probably died on October 1.

The headline was ruined three days later when the press-loving leader met a group of reporters in a bid to end any premature speculation of his demise.


Sunday, May 2, 2010

Mogadishu blasts kill 34, injure almost 70: medics-Blasts at Somali mosque kill at least 30: witnesses

Photobucket
Somalia's transitional government condemned the blasts

Causality figures in the Mogadishu mosque explosions on Saturday include 34 dead and almost 70 wounded, hospital sources said.

Local hospitals and emgercy services say that the death toll now stands at 34 while almost 70 others have been admitted to the Daynile Hospital on the outskirts of the capital Mogadishu.

Witnesses at the scene of the blast speak of carnage and confusion, with dozens of dead and wounded people lying on the floor of the mosque following the twin explosions in the packed mosque in the main Bakara market in Mogadishu

An Islamist official of the Al Shabaab Islamist groups was among the injured in the attack on a mosque frequented by supporters of Islamist Al Shabaab movement.

The group's senior leader Fuad Mohamed Khalaf, who was at the mosque at the time and "slightly" injured in the arms, was the target of the attack, according to Al Shabaab spokesman Ali Mohamoud Rageh.

Rageh accused foreign security firms operating inside Mogadishu of being behind the attack.

The Al Shabaab spokesman vowed to tighten security and be more alert to any future attacks from what he called the foreign security firms' "local collaborators."


Sunday, January 3, 2010

Danish Cartoonist who tarnish Islam attacked by axe wiedling man with link to Al Qaeda,hide in panic room in house.Shot by police.

Photobucket
Wounded: The Somalian was carried into court on a stretcher and charged with two counts of attempted murder Photobucket
Safe: The cartoonist and his granddaughter, who was staying the night, were unharmed in the attack Photobucket
Scare: A smashed window at the cartoonist's home today after police shot an intruder who was armed with a knife and axe Photobucket
Target: Police outside Westergaard's home in Aarhus last night after a Somali man armed with an axe and a knife tried to break in Photobucket
Controversial: Kurt Westergaard has become a target for extremists since drawing a satirical picture of the Prophet Mohammed Photobucket

Muslims protest against the publication of cartoons of Prophet Mohammed in a Danish newspaper, in Calcutta, India, in 2006

Photobucket


A Somali man with alleged links to terrorist groups al-Shabab and al-Qaida has been charged with an attempt to kill a Danish cartoonist whose depiction of the Prophet Muhammed sparked outrage in the Muslim world.

Police and medical personnel carried an injured Somali man strapped to a stretcher into a Danish court Saturday, just hours after his alleged attempt to kill Danish cartoonist Kurt Westergaard. The suspect's face was covered by a blanket and under Danish privacy laws his name has not been revealed.

The 28-year-old man was later charged with two counts of attempted murder for Friday's attack on Westergaard, whose cartoon depicting the Prophet Muhammad with a bomb-shaped turban in 2005 ignited riots and outrage among Muslims worldwide. The suspect denied the charges.

Denmark's intelligence service claimed that the alleged attacker had close ties to the Somali terrorist groups al-Shabab and al-Qaida in eastern Africa.

The man apparently broke into Westergaard's home near the town of Aarhus about 200 kilometers northwest of the capital Copenhagen.

Seventy-four-year-old Westergaard fled with his granddaughter to a special safe room in his house where he could call police.

He said in remarks aired by Danish television that he escaped unhurt after a tense stand-off. Cartoonist Westergaard explains the man tried to enter the area where he and his grandchild sought shelter. He says the suspect also shouted abusive language as he tried to break down the (entrance) door. Westergaard adds that he was able to contact police. In his words "It was scary. It was close, really close, but we did it."

The deputy chief superintendent of the Aarhus police, Fritz Keldsen, told reporters that his forces arrived late Friday within minutes after receiving Westergaard's distress call.

He confirmed that the man was shot after apparently threatening police with an axe and a knife. Keldsen says police came in large numbers after receiving an alarm message from Westergaard's home. He explains that when police confronted the suspect he moved away from the scene. Keldsen adds, "He then attacked the police patrol. He did that, so they were qualified to shoot him."

Police reportedly shot the man twice, but said the suspect's life was not in danger.

Officials said artist Westergaard has been moved to an undisclosed location for his own protection.

The Associated Press reports that a moderate Muslim organization in Denmark, the Danish Muslim Union, condemned the attack in statement Saturday.




---------------

--------------

-------------

--------------

RELATED POSTS:-


Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Australia foils terrorist plot to attack army base

Australia terror suspects planned barracks suicide attack, say police

Four men arrested in Melbourne allegedly planned to enter army barracks with guns and kill as many soldiers as they could



Police in Australia said today they had foiled a plot to stage a suicide attack on an army barracks in suburban Sydney, after arresting four men with suspected links to a militant Somali Islamist group.

"The men's intention was to actually go into the army barracks and to kill as many soldiers as they could until they themselves were killed," said the country's federal police commissioner, Tony Negus.



Police search a car at a Melbourne suburb after a pre-dawn raid at one of 19 locations Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2009, in Australia. Some 400 officers from state and national security services took part in 19 pre-dawn raids on properties in Melbourne, Australia's second largest city following a seven-month surveillance operation of a group of people allegedly linked to al-Shabaab, an al-Qaida-linked Somali extremist organization that has been fighting to overthrow Somalia's transitional government.


In this image taken from a footage shot by Channel 7 and released via APTN, police stand near a doorway to a property as they lunched raids in Melbourne, Australia, Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2009. Australian police launched a major anti-terrorism operation on Tuesday, arresting four men they said were suspected of plotting an attack in the country.



In this image taken from a footage shot by Channel 7 and released via APTN, Chief Commissioner of Victoria State Police Simon Overland, right, speaks as Australian Federal Police, acting commissioner Tony Negus looks on during a press conference in Melbourne, Australia, Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2009. Australian police launched a major anti-terrorism operation on Tuesday, arresting four men they said were suspected of plotting an attack in the country.




In this image taken from a footage shot by Channel 7 and released via APTN, a property during overnight police raid is seen in Melbourne, Australia, Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2009. Australian police launched a major anti-terrorism operation on Tuesday, arresting four men they said were suspected of plotting an attack in the country




In this image taken from a footage shot by Channel 7 and released via APTN, police move their bags and cases to a vehicle at side of a road as they lunched raids in Melbourne, Australia, Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2009. Australian police launched a major anti-terrorism operation on Tuesday, arresting four men they said were suspected of plotting an attack in the country.



Police gather evidence at a house in a Melbourne suburb after a pre-dawn raid at 1 of 19 locations Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2009, in Australia. Some 400 officers from state and national security services took part in 19 pre-dawn raids on properties in Melbourne, Australia's second largest city following a seven-month surveillance operation of a group of people allegedly linked to al-Shabaab, an al-Qaida-linked Somali extremist organization that has been fighting to overthrow Somalia's transitional government.

The four, all Australian citizens of Somali or Lebanese descent, were arrested after 400 state and federal security officers raided 19 properties around the southern city of Melbourne before dawn. Several other people were also held and are being questioned.

The alleged plotters, aged between 22 and 26, are believed to be connected to al-Shabaab, a hardline Somali group linked to al-Qaida that has been fighting to overthrow Somalia's government.

Al-Shabaab is seeking to establish a hardline interpretation of Islamic law in Somalia. Its members have forced women to wear veils and have cut off limbs for theft. The group has claimed responsibility for several bombings and shootings in Mogadishu against Ethiopian troops and Somali government officials, and has killed journalists and international aid workers. Connections to taxi drivers in Australia and international connections to Al Qaida.

The suspects were caught on CCTV around , Holsworthy Barracks on the outskirts of Sydney was one of the group's potential targets, and surveillance had been carried out at other bases, he said, declining to identify them.

One of the suspects, Nayes El Sayad, was formally charged in Melbourne Magistrate's Court with conspiring to plan a terrorist attack, which carries a maximum penalty of life in prison. Another suspect, Saney Aweys, also appeared in court, where police sought and were granted permission to detain him longer without charge for questioning.

Australian Federal Police Acting Commissioner Tony Negus said the raids followed a seven-month surveillance operation of a group of people with alleged ties to al-Shabaab, an Islamist organization based in that country's south that has been fighting to overthrow Somalia's transitional government.

Police sealed off several houses in Melbourne after the raids and were conducting intensive searches. Forensic officers in protective suits collected samples and searched at least one car parked in a driveway, while uniformed officers interviewed neighbors.

"This operation has disrupted an alleged terrorist attack that could have claimed many lives," he said.

Negus said the investigation had also found that some of the group had traveled to Somalia "to participate in hostilities" there.


Terrorist violence is extremely rare in Australia — a 1978 bombing near the Hilton Hotel that killed two is the best-known incident — and no attacks have been carried out on Australian soil since the Sept. 11 attacks in the U.S. raised security threat levels worldwide.


The U.S. State Department says al-Shabaab has provided a safe haven to al-Qaida "elements" wanted for the 1998 bombings of the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. The two groups have long been suspected of working together, but they have not announced a formal alliance. Al-Qaida has operations in North Africa, Yemen and Iraq.

--

-Police foiled a suicide plot in Australia on Tuesday, arresting four men suspected of links to a Somali Islamic extremist group who were allegedly planning commando-style attacks on at least one army base, senior officers said.
Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said the plot was a "sober reminder" that terrorists are still a threat to Australia, which has drawn the ire of extremist groups for sending troops to join the U.S.-led campaigns in Afghanistan and Iraq.-

----------------------------------------------------------------


Today Top Recent Posts Here.


Blogger Widgets
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Entertainment News